Do you love crystals but aren’t sure what to do with them? Or perhaps you’re just curious and don’t know much about them? I have a page listed in the menu under the header photo where I briefly discuss some of the properties of commonly available crystals but here I want to discuss some of their uses and how to care for them.
I’ve literally got hundreds of crystals sitting around my house … almost every horizontal surface of the house (except the floor, bed, and kitchen table/counters of course) has crystals on it. Most of the time they sit there, happily sending out their soothing energies, but we do put them to specific use from time to time.
In addition to the spheres, clusters, pyramids, and other shapes we have here, I work beads made from these crystals into jewelry, car charms, window hangings, and other baubles. I have crystals in my office too. Now they’re used to help with my Reiki sessions, but even when I had an engineering job I was surrounded by them.
So what can crystals be used for? Honestly, just about anything. Here are some of the things I do with crystals:
- Carry them to benefit from their energy all day. Chose one or more small stones to help with a particular issue and place them in a small bag. It doesn’t matter what the bag is made of … I’ve used organza, velvet, linen, and cotton. You can then carry the bag with you or place it somewhere appropriate. I have one in my truck for protection from accidents. I put it together after I was rear-ended a number of years ago and haven’t had even a close call since … and that’s no small feat the way some people here in Southern California drive!
- “Worry stones” … these are small, flat stones that can be carried or just held. They usually have one surface that is slightly concave that’s perfect for rubbing with a thumb. As the name implies, when you’re stressed or worried you simply hold the stone and rub away to your heart’s content. It helps get rid of some excess energy and the contact with the stone is soothing.
- Wear them as jewelry. The great thing about incorporating crystals into jewelry is that you can mix and match to suit your needs for each day, just wear something to help deflect negative energies, or to help keep your chakras clear and balanced.
- Hang them near your doors and windows to help prevent negative energies from entering your home. I didn’t know this when I first decided to hang some crystals in my windows and doorways, but there are some cultures (I know of a few Native American tribes for sure) that will use crystal helpers to keep negative energies from entering the living space by placing them in openings.
- Meditate with them. There are a number of ways to meditate with crystals. The easiest is to just hold or sit with (or near) a crystal or two. Any stone can be a helper, but I find that either a stone to help calm the mind or one that helps to connect with other energies in the Universe are particularly beneficial in meditation.
- They can be a fabulous scrying tool … just staring into the crystal and getting lost in the internal fractures and planes allows the logical side of the brain to focus while letting the subconscious side have a chance to tell us more directly (at least more than it does with dreams) what we need to know.
- You can also “interview” a crystal by sitting with it and asking it questions. No, they don’t really “talk” to us, but most people can glean impressions that feel like emotions that don’t belong to us. Even my hubby (who claims to be completely oblivious to any energies) can frequently get a “feel” for gender or age from a crystal. For those used to dealing with higher vibration energies, a vision or brief scenes from the crystal’s past may come through.
- If you are into baths (as opposed to showers, I’m not suggesting anyone go without bathing!) you can take a stone in with you (assuming it is a stone that can tolerate water). The water will actually pick up the energy patterns of the stone and amplify it. Use caution though … I once dragged a clear quartz sphere into the tub with me and ended up so amped I was bouncing off the walls for 4 hours! Oops
- Chase away the “electronic smog” generated by televisions and computer screens. I set out unakite and covelite in front of any television or computer I will be around … both are wonderful at deflecting and absorbing the excess energies radiated by all types of screens.
- In addition to jewelry for humans, crystal beads lend themselves perfectly to hanging on a pet’s collar … or even making a collar from them for your cat or dog. When we had a dog going through (and recuperating from) radiation therapy, I made her a “collar” of bloodstone, carnelian, and smoky quartz to help dissipate the effects of the radiation. Just as with people, the uses of crystals for pets is pretty much limitless and whether one or two crystals are hung from the collar or a whole collar is made, the animals benefit from the crystal energies just like we do.
Crystals that are especially helpful:
On one of our vacations I decided that I needed to set aside some crystals as an “Emergency Kit”. I have them in a craft box as it’s handy storage (and easy to grab) so I can take them with us when we travel since I don’t have access to all those I keep at home when we’re on vacation. I chose the stones listed below because they pretty much cover a wide range of ailments and emotional issues. Most are pretty easy to find and all that is needed are one or two of the small tumbled pieces. A small reference book, like Judy Hall’s “The Crystal Bible” to keep with it is helpful too.
Crystal “First-Aid Kit”:
|Astrophylite||Garnet||Quantum Quatro Silica|
|Blue Aragonite||Infinite||Rainbow Moonstone|
|Blue Tiger Eye||Kunzite||Red Tiger Eye|
|Blue Pietersite||Labradorite||Snowflake Obsidian|
|Danburite||Obsidian||Tiger Eye (gold)|
When giving a crystal a specific “job”, it’s helpful to first charge the crystal with that intent(some people call it programming). Just sit with a calm mind while holding the crystal. Next, visualize or think about what you want the crystal to do for you. I know that sounds pretty simple, but it really is that easy. The crystals are very good at picking up on our energetic signature and thoughts modify our energy in a manner they can interpret. Once they’re ready to go, just put them to work.
When crystals are used for a specific purpose, in many cases they will need to be cleansed periodically to get rid of negative energies they’ve collected. And it’s usually a good idea to cleanse new crystals when we bring them home. This isn’t always the case though, so if it makes you feel uncomfortable thinking about cleansing a crystal, don’t worry about it … the stone may not need to be cleansed. Some stones (like quartz, black tourmaline, and turquoise) never need cleansing. There are a number of ways stones can be cleansed:
- Hold the stone under running water
- Soak the stone in salt water for a little while
- Set the stone on a quartz cluster for at least a day
- Leave the stone sitting in the light of a full moon overnight
- Bury the stone for at least a week
- Smudge the stone using sage or incense
Not all of these methods are appropriate for all stones, so make sure and check if there is any question … especially with regard to water. Angelite, selenite, malachite, and sunstone should never be held under running water nor soaked in salt water (or fresh water) and another method should be chosen for those stones. Ideally you can interpret what the stone wants and give it what it needs. Trust yourself … if it “feels right” it probably is.
If you’re wanting additional (and a lot more detailed) information, these are books that I highly recommend:
The Crystal Bible, The Crystal Bible 2, and The Crystal Bible 3 by Judy Hall
The Book of Stones by Robert Simmons and Naisha Ahsian
Love is in the Earth by Melody and Julianne Guilbault
I’ll do another post or two on some additional crystal uses. For now though, I hope I’ve given enough information to at least let folks get comfortable working with crystals. They really are marvelous helpers.
For Educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by any medical authority or
the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
© Copyright dragonfae and Healing Through Balance, LLC 2011-2014